Forum Title: Window springs??
Hi All, bear with me if I use the wrong terminology. I have a question about our approx. 20 year old Certainteed windows. I currently have one that will not go all the way up and it just doesn't sound right when it is operated within the amount of distance that it will open. This is where i'll need some support on my improper terms. It appears that in the track on both sides of the windows that there are two plastic type thingys that are apparently (?) spring loaded with what I call a long type of metal in ribbon form that rolls up inside these plastic things due to some kind of spring loaded system (?) The bottom portion of this ribbon is attached to the slide that the bottom of the window goes into. Upon closer inspection it appears that one of, or both of the ribbon type springs on one side of the window have broken as the very thin metal ribbon material is all kinked up inside the track. The actual ribbon is not broken, but it is all kinked up inside the track as though it wouldn't re-track inside of its housing, thus keeping the window from going up all the way. So my question is....can these Springs be replaced ? It seems as though they should except for the fact that how do they come out of the track ? There is a small opening at the top of each track that has a plug type thing in it. Is that there so if these parts do need to be replaced that one can remove the plug thingy and slide the broken springs up and out of the track ? Hopefully I haven't totally confused everyone and someone will be able to chime in with a good suggestion. And as always....Thanks for your help
Category: Windows & Doors Post By: Boris Dunn (Fresno, CA), 01/06/2019


- EDWARD THOMPSON (Taylorsville, UT), 02/27/2019

No way to know for sure without pictures... but if it is like a ribbon it sounds like a constant force balance. If it is more like a long tube with a spiral rod, those are spiral balances. Either can be replaced, but since we aren't psychic it's hard to say what part you need or even if it is still available. Knowing the right term is half the battle, so google constant force balance and see if the images look like what you have. Swisco is a good place to start when looking for parts.

- SYLVIA HARPER (Asheville, NC), 03/02/2019

This sounds like what you have. CertainTeed used these type of balances. Try and search for constant force balances.

- WENDY VARGAS (Arlington, VA), 02/05/2019

Home Improvment Support & Helpful Links

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527